Thursday, January 13, 2005

 

Random Gleanings on January 13th

Right Wing News has The 40 Most Obnoxious Quotes Of 2004 This one caught my eye. I wonder how Wolcott feels about the earthquake in which 160,000+ lost their lives.
3) "I root for hurricanes. When, courtesy of the Weather Channel, I see one forming in the ocean off the coast of Africa, I find myself longing for it to become big and strong--Mother Nature's fist of fury, Gaia's stern rebuke. Considering the havoc mankind has wreaked upon nature with deforesting, stripmining, and the destruction of animal habitat, it only seems fair that nature get some of its own back and teach us that there are forces greater than our own." -- James Wolcott, Vanity Fair Contributing Editor
Mover Mike

Hat tip to Rush

Fossil fuel curbs may speed global warming-scientists

LONDON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Cutting down on fossil fuel pollution could accelerate global warming and help turn parts of Europe into desert by 2100, according to research to be aired on British television on Thursday. "Global Dimming", a BBC Horizon documentary, will describe research suggesting fossil fuel by-products like sulphur dioxide particles reflect the sun's rays, "dimming" temperatures and almost cancelling out the greenhouse effect.

The researchers say cutting down on the burning of coal and oil, one of the main goals of international environmental agreements, will drastically heat rather than cool climate.

"When the cooling affect goes away -- and it must do because particles like sulphur dioxide are damaging to humans -- global warming will be much stronger," climate change scientist Dr Peter Cox told Reuters on Wednesday.

Temperatures could increase in the worst case by up to 10 degrees by the end of the century, the researchers said -- much more than current estimates.

Rush asks "What are you going to do now?
Mover Mike

An aside, I have added a RSS Feed so you can be aware of a new update to Mover Mike. This is great. I don't know how many hours I've spent going to each link on my site to see if there has been a new post to your sites. Now you and I can be notified when there is a post. What took me so long? I just didn't understand RSS until I took the time. It was simple to add to my template. What's in the future, maybe Vlogging!
Mover Mike

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here
Google
WWW Mover Mike